Avocados are full of fats so they used to get put into the same category as all fat, that it would make you fat.
This isn’t the case. Avocados are mainly a monounsaturated fat, specifically oleic acid, an omega-9 fatty acid.
Research shows that this type of fat lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides, both which are associated with heart disease and increases good cholesterol (HDL).
Avocados also contain Lutein, a natural antioxidant which makes it great for your eyes, skin, and heart!
They are also a great source of fiber and have next to zero effect on blood sugar.
If you are looking to lose weight keep in mind that avocados are high in calories. That being said, they are still great for you and you shouldn't shy away from them. Everything in moderation.
California Avocados are about 289 calories, while Florida Avocados are about 365 calories. If you are looking to lose weight and worried about the calories, than I would stick with California avocados.
Either way they are great for your health and I eat ½ of one almost every day!
So go ahead, eat up
Here is one of my favorite recipes that I make with avocado:
Chickpea Salad Sandwich (V)
What you need:
2 scallions roughly chopped
1 large handful parsley
2 Tbs lemon juice
15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Sprinkle of dried dill seasoning
Cucumber slices and fresh spinach to add as topping to sandwich
2 pieces whole wheat bread or extra spinach and make It a salad!
Put it together:
Mix and mash avocado, scallions, parsley, and lemon.
Add mixture to a bowl and add diced celery
Add chickpeas to a plastic baggie and smash until half are mush and half are whole.
Add smashed chickpeas to avocado mixture and stir everything together
Serve on bread and top with sliced cucumber and fresh spinach
I am sure you feel tension and stress among a million other emotions. Here are some tips that help me get deal with stress on the spot and later in the night to unwind.
For me the hardest part about stress and worry is that my brain is constantly thinking and I can’t shut it off.
When you are stressed or hear bad news or your world starts to spin out of control, take a minute for yourself and completely unplug.
1. The breathing exercises we have been practicing are a great way to help you in the moment. By taking that minute and concentrating only on your breathing you can clear your mind.
2. Listen to upbeat music and SING ALONG. it slows heart rate, lowers blood pressure and even decreases levels of stress hormones -- any music that you love will flood your brain with feel-good neurochemicals like dopamine. While music can soothe everyday anxiety (crank it up on the drive home!), research shows that it’s particularly beneficial for those in the midst of stressful events. Seriously when I am in a “mood” music can get me out of it. I put it on in the car or anywhere and do silly dances and sing and I always feel better after. Or listen to comedy. Laughter really is the best medicine.
3. Smile. This is going to sound crazy but look in the mirror and smile at yourself for 1 minute straight. A real smile! Eventually you will laugh at yourself.
4. Allow yourself to be happy. No matter what is happening in your life you are allowed to be happy, but only you can allow it. Emotions are normal and necessary in life. The constant wave, up and down of feeling happy and sad is a good thing. Even when there are terrible circumstances, finding time to see and allow the things that make you happy do so and not feel guilty is important. Go out with a friend or treat yourself to a massage.
5. Take an Epson salt bath! I know it is summer but light some candles, grab a book or some music and lock that bathroom door. This is you time. Using a powerful mineral base such as Epsom salts in a bathwater medium creates a process called reverse osmosis. This process pulls salt and harmful toxins out of the body and allows the magnesium and sulfates to enter into the body. This will help remove the tension from your body after a long and stressful day.
6. I sometimes have trouble sleeping and have used a number of different guided meditations to help me fall asleep. I swear by them. Here is one that I like but feel free to search YouTube for your own. Just put it on when you are going to sleep and listen to the person walk you through a meditation. I am usually asleep within 10 minutes.
Meaghan is a Health Coach and Personal Trainer who works with men and women who are problematic eaters and yo-yo dieters.